Nowadays, Twitter is one of the top Social Media Networks. A platform that allows millions of people to send a message to be read in real time by its followers. It is a tool that spreads the information at an incredible velocity. It has become something so important that it is hard to imagine the Internet without Twitter
While Twitter tries to get all of the services by third parties, taking decisions without consulting its community to understand how those decisions will affect them and basically making themselves a little unstandable, we would like to recall 5 functions of Twitter that wxists thanks to the spontaneous use of its users:
- Mentions: There was a time where the mentions where made “manually”, the did not automatically linked to the user. The @ was perfect to send “tweets” to someone in particular. Why? well, because @ means “at” so when you wrote @manyotherthings you where actually saying “at manyotherthings”.
- ReTweets: exactly the same case that with mentions. Everything was done manually. People needed a simple code to republish someone’s Tweet and the RTs were perfect. At the beginning, some people just copied the Tweet, pasted it and added the RT before it. Years later, Twitter created the Retweet functionality.
- The Lists: this was TweetDeck’s “fault” that allows people to organize their followers in lists. the idea was originated 3 years ago. Nowadays Twitter allows users to create them and save them, which is very useful for its users.
- Shorten URLs: with the 14o characters limitation, people needed to shorten the URLs that they shared. Twitter did not have its own URL shorten functionality, buet recommended TinyURL to its users. Years later, Twitter incorporated its own URL shortener tool.
- Hashtags: The last one on the list but not least important. It was created to give context to a Tweet nad they thought of the # as the perfect indicator for keywords that group a specific type of information. It wasn’t just adopted by Twitter but it is actually one of the best ways of finding information about a theme on the net.
Well, therse five characteristics of the Social Media King were created thanks to its users. the coincide to be the most noticeablecharacteristics of Twitter.
Original Article: CookingIdeas